Sunday, June 3, 2012

Experiencing New Things - Living !

Living in Utah, I was pretty much stuck in a rut, a lot of times unwilling to try new things or venture out of the norm. Isn't it funny how change forces you to realize or re examine things about yourself ? My husband and kids tried convincing me to be more adventurous, but I resisted.
Being is a different country, has helped or should I say "shoved" me out of my comfort box, to be more adventurous and try new and different things - things I would have never done in Utah. Sometimes you don't have a lot of choice, which has helped give me the extra push.
"Would you like to get henna ?" "Why not," I said. Our new emirate friends were going to take Taeler and I to their personal salon,  assisting us in getting henna. It is natural and deprived from plants, but the henna, when applied to your skin can last for weeks, months. Henna on arms, hands, feet, legs, etc, is a very common site in the UAE and dates back to prehistoric times. They apply henna for special occasions, such as weddings, or just for decoration. The intricate designs are very beautiful and delicate.

The woman from Pakistan applying the henna is well known among the Emirates to be a very good henna artist. We had an in !My hand design took 30 minutes and cost 30 dirhams (@ 8 US dollars). Taeler's was more intricate. She did both hands, and her henna cost 60 dirhams (@ 16 US dollars). Very cheap and inexpensive for what was done.


At tourist traps around Dubai, they will charge anywhere from 150 - 600 dirhams (@ 45.00 - 150.00 US dollars ) for the same designs we got on our hands. Luckily were able to get henna applied where the locals go. We were the only westerners in the salon and we loved it.
To live in Dubai, you need to put to bed any fears you have about food. There is so much diversity and always opportunity to experience foods that you have never tried or tasted before. Custom also has it, if you turn down food or don't accept an invitation to dine, it can cause offense to that person and their family. So you sit down, eat and enjoy! Many times the person or family will watch you eat, waiting for comments on how the food tastes. If you say you like it, they dish you up more to eat. 
If you don't try some of the small, quaint and authentic restaurants in the older section of the city,Satwa, Bur Dubai, Karma, Deira, etc., you would never eat the best food cooked in the city or see the quirky signs like the one below. These signs are posted at the Indian Restaurant, Venus, in Karma.  Hmmm...can't you just imagine the sound that they are referring to?
BTW - these signs are out in and visible in the public dining areas of the restaurant.


Indian, Lebanese, Emirate, Philippine, Turkish, etc.,.. food from countries that I have never eaten before and guess what, it is delicious. I like it. A little spicy, but they know all the tricks and secrets to help sooth the spicy burn and share it with you immediately. Plain yogurt is served with all meals and supposedly soothes the stomach.

I have learned to ignore - it's hard- the age of the buildings, the rat traps strategically placed out by the front door and the lack of cleanliness in the restaurants, focusing only on the food.

Now it was my turn, I have been sharing some American classics with a few people in Dubai, specifically baked goods and pasta dishes. I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies for the Pakistan security guards, Nepalese and Bangladesh bell hops at our hotel apartment and they went crazy over them, so I keep making more. I have introduced a few of them to peanut butter and now they are hooked. It is funny how baked goods can make people happy, especially cookies. Who doesn't like an ooey gooey cookie ?! 

I have ridden camels, hail cabs on my own all the time and travel around the city, learning Arabic (never thought I could learn a different language ), barter with the souks and am willing to try just about anything else that is different from what I am used to.

Why did I wait so long to become adventurous ? It is about time I got out of my box and live!

1 comment:

  1. OOey gooey cookies...it transcends languages and cultures :) So glad you are having a blast....and the henna tattoos....WOWSA!

    ReplyDelete