Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sea Shells and Swim Suits

The beaches of Dubai have crystal white sand and turquoise blue water. Close your eyes and just imagine. They are stunning and captivating. When I walk on the ultra fine sand it feels like I am walking on plush white carpet and that is no exaggeration, the beaches are amazing. It almost sounds like I work for a Dubai travel agency, doesn't it. :)
The best thing about Jumeirah beach, is the short 8 minute walk from our apartment and we try to get to it frequently. Jeff and I are not normally sun worshippers, in fact, we try and stay out of the sun, but the beaches in Dubai are hard to resist. So with a large floppy brimmed hat, layers of sunscreen and sunglasses I hang out on the beach. Doesn't that conjure up a typical tourist look? 
A common question I got before I left Utah, "are the women in Dubai able to wear swim suits on the beaches and at the pools ?"  Yes, women are allowed to wear swim suits on beaches and at the pool, thong bikini's are highly discouraged. I guess I wont be wearing mine (jk). Women need to wear a cover up over their swimming suit going to and from the beach or pool areas and swim wear is not allowed to be worn away from those locations. A women can get a modesty ticket from the Dubai police if swim wear were to be worn out in a public setting other than where it is deemed appropriate and it is considered offensive. Most of the beaches also designate a "women only day" of swimming one day a week. No men allowed.
 How cool is that !
Besides the soft sand and color of the water, in the early morning, I am astonished at the number of different sea shells that the tide has carried in. The above picture shows the the beach after sun up and how littered it is with sea shells. Sea shells galore and more than one person can pick up! The first time Jeff and I visited Jumeirah Beach and saw all the sea shells, we ran around like two crazy people trying to pick them all up. We were like two little kids in a candy store, but now we know better. There will be more sea shells tomorrow, the next day and the day after that... Besides the sea shells, the tide also carries in lots of star fish, jelly fish and other sea creatures, we check them for a pulse or any sign of life and throw the living (creatures that we are not afraid to pick up) back into the sea. I don't recall ever being on a beach and seeing this many sea shells or star fish on one stretch of sand, even from my experiences living as child in Hawaii. Supposedly, it is like this every morning.
When you are on the beach, you forget everything else going on around you and in the world. The sea has a very calming and soothing effect on me. I love it. Maybe that is way so many people hang out on beaches, it is natures way of doing therapy and we don't even know it.
After I get done writing this post, I may have to take a walk and hang out on the beach for an hour. The sea is calling me to come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment