Sunday, March 18, 2012

How Do I Keep Myself Busy - I Want To Be Me Again

Getting bored .... time to re- invent myself ...meeting new people...what will I do with my time...learning the nuisances of a new country ...fitting into a different culture...missing family and friends...who am I...what do I have to offer...should I get a part time job...volunteer my time...do my kids miss their mom...how do I just be a housewife...learning to bake and cook with metrics...
.................................................................................................................................................................
I am used to being on the go, constantly, jumping in my car and going here and there, working full time, balancing multiple schedules, being around my kids and family, playing with my darling grand daughters, going out with friends, taking care of a home, etc..  some days I never got anything on my "to do" list accomplished because my days were so crazy.
All of that has come to a screeching halt! I am now in a country 9000 miles away from what used to be home, everything familiar and who I was. Besides my husband Jeff, not one other person in this country of millions knew me when I arrived. Everyone I have met since the day I arrived, knows nothing about me from my past, have never met my kids and most of them say, "you are Jeff's wife or this is Jeff's wife". That is what I have become, "Jeff''s wife". Don't get me wrong, that is not a bad thing, I love being Jeff's wife, but it is time to start re inventing myself, to become Debbie again.
The people in Dubai, especially other expat wife's, have been very kind and inviting. Most of them have been in my position before and they are compassionate, reaching out to anyone new that moves in. I have met many amazing women, expats from countries all over the world, gone to lunch several times and now have their phone number as a contact in my phone ( I am so happy that I finally have a phone that works here). Several of them are "teaching me the ropes ", the do's and don'ts of Dubai. If I called one of them to help me, they would be here in an instant. It's just not the same - right now - but as I become more familiar and spend time with them, many of these women will become good friends, probably friends for life. It is true, time takes care of everything.
If I ever had a spare moment at home, I loved to bake and vacuum, just ask my kids. OK, I know that sounds quirky, but it made me happy. Living in our high rise apartment in Dubai, I have had to adjust, everything is done for me and that is a little hard getting used to. I spotted a vacuum out in hall yesterday and thought about kidnapping it for a half hour and vacuuming my apartment. But my better judgement came back and I knew I should not even think about it. It is somebody else's job  to clean for me and I need to let them do it. Besides it would not be me that got a stern talking to if I did kidnap the vacuum, it would be Jeff. As a side note...There are camera's on all the traffic lights. If you are caught either in person or on camera running a red light in the UAE, the first time you are caught, your car is impounded for 160 days and you are fined heavily, the second time you run a red light, your car is impounded and you are put in jail for a period of time. If I am the one that commits the offense, Jeff would go to jail. I will behave....
And the baking - everything is in metrics ! I have made chocolate chip cookies three times and I think I finally understand my oven and what the strange symbols and temperatures mean, but most of the labels on food items and recipes are in metrics. Goodness, I have so much to learn.
This really is not a pity party, just trying to make sense of my new life and who I am now. Right now I am in a place that is very foreign to me and it is not just the country - you think you know yourself , then all of sudden your life drastically changes and you have to step up, dig deep and give it every positive bone you have in your body to move forward and make it work. I know that in three months I will be in a much different place then I am today, and hopefully will have some answers about myself, understand the country and roads better, know how to use the money, understand a few Arabic words, grasp metrics's and hopefully get Debbie back. Maybe if I cant have the old one, how about a new and improved Debbie.

Today I picked up my new SUV - yeah !  Our SUV will give me some freedom to go out and explore Dubai while Jeff is at work. I am looking forward to this having this new vehicle and what it can offer me.

Stay tuned and if anyone has any helpful suggestions pass them along.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ferrante, this is Dale...I LOVE your blog...it is so cool and interesting. I know you're probably feeling like a fish out of water, but I say, "enjoy it" and soak in every minute!!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete