Thursday, May 31, 2012

Three Months in Dubai ! This is My New Home for Now

Three months today I arrived in Dubai. My life turned upside down, I had left my family, grand children, friends back in the states - 9000 miles away. I left behind everything familiar to me to move with my husband to Dubai, UAE, for three years or more. I was nervous about the unknown, the big change, starting over in a country that I did not know and where no one knew me.
What if I could not adjust, make friends, etc. So many things were all up in the air and it really was up to me on whether or not I liked living in Dubai.
In the three short months I have adjusted and it is really true, give it some time and effort, things will work out.
I like living in Dubai - confidently and enthusiastically I can say that now. This quirky, intriguing and mystical country, United Arab Emirates is a great place to live. You may never figure it out, but that is part of the mystic. So many things do not and will never make sense, but I have decided that is what makes Dubai, Dubai.
Being a social person, I knew that for me to thrive here I needed to make friends, learn about the city and become a part of it. After one week of feeling sorry for myself, adjusting to the jet lag and time change - it was time to get busy.
The people in Dubai are amazing and embracing - I cannot say it any better than that. Warm, friendly and so international. Americans are the minority here and that is okay. I have never in my life met so many people from so many different cultures and countries. The diversity of the people is one of the specific things that makes me love this country so much. It was hard at first, but I can even understand most anyone now, even when their English is really bad. Hopefully, no more laundry incidents like I had before. Surprisingly, I have picked up a few Arabic words. The Arabs are so great to teach you a few words, the basics I need to survive here. A couple of the Pakistan security guards at our hotel apartment, have taken on the role of teaching Jeff and I short Arabic greetings and phrases. They delight in us being interested. Amjad, in the picture below, was delighted to have Taeler speak to him in Arabic. He calls her the "Arab American".
Amjad with Taeler
 I have learned in a very short time, no matter where we are from, in the end, we all really want the same things from life, especially women. Start talking about love, hair, kids or shoes and you have an instant conversation with anyone, from anywhere in the world. My life has been enriched in a very short time from meeting and getting to know so many new people from all walks of life. They introduce us to their food, favorite restaurants, talk about their customs, countries and families.
Taeler, Debbie, Jeff, Fatima and Ayesha
I have gathered a circle of friends and love them all dearly. Everyone in Dubai has been in the same situation ( being new) at one point and everyone seems to have a united feeling of being in it all together. New people are embraced, loved and welcomed. The only downside is no one is permanent in Dubai, people come and go all the time. 
When I first arrived I was worried  about where I would shop for groceries, get my hair done, pedicures, etc. Those types of things are important. How do you find good establishments and services? Just like home...ask for recommendations and it is also a great way to meet people. Via word of mouth and recommendations, I found a tailor in the old part of the city, Satwa. The Tailor shop is called "Dream Girls" and the men that work in the shop are astonishing. These men can fix, whip up a new outfit, or tailor anything in an instant. Very impressive, inexpensive and they guarantee their work. If you do not like it,they will start all over until you are 100% happy with their work and product.


Most importantly, I have found myself a ladies salon - no men allowed -I am so happy! They do it all... pedicures, manicures, threading, cut, color, etc, and pamper like not other.The salon is called "Pastels", the staff are friendly and the prices unbelievably cheaper than the US.

The first couple weeks I was missing foods from the US. On the recommendation of other expat you soon know exactly were you can find your favorite US items. They are so happy to show you the stores and share their secrets. A few of the stores cater to the expat populationsand ship in products that make the Americans and British so happy. You feel like you have won the lottery when you find a specific and familiar food item in stock at the store and sitting on the grocery shelf. But if you find something you love on the shelf at the store, you better buy it, you never know when you will see it again, maybe never.
The exported food items cost a little more, but sometimes that is all you want, something familiar from home.
In a short time, I have learned to love new food items, like fresh yogurt, Arabian bread, Indian food ( never thought I would hear myself say that)... yummy.
My new favorite grocery store is called "Spinneys", but there are also others, Safest Way, Waitross, Choitrams. I am convinced that the US ships it best fruit outside the States. Of course the the meat is pure, but very little or no preservatives are used, breads are baked fresh daily and the fruit - well - you will have to come to Dubai and try it for yourself.


We go home to Utah, next week  and I am looking forward to the visit, but will miss Dubai. It sounds so strange to say that, but in three short months this has become my new home and I realize I can live here for a while, make it work, and love it.

5 comments:

  1. Ferrante, we are excited to see you again! So glad you are enjoying the wild ride....let's go to the Olive Garden for some fettucine alfredo...with chicken :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello i am from Louisville ky , I am Arabic American , and I just moved to Dubai like 4 months ago and I just can't fit in lol , so I am trying to found Americans to hang our with any ideas , I would really appricate it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am from Louisville ky , i am an arabic American , I just moved here to Dubai like 4 months ago and still can't meet people or fit in and would love to hang out or meet some amiricans , any ideas please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife and I are moving from Chicago to Dubai in two weeks. I will be working as a pediatrician and we are looking forward to make friends from back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living in Dubai is an amazing experience and that the city offers to it's visitors is beyond imagination at times.
    It's a Lifetime experience. :)

    ReplyDelete