Monday, May 14, 2012

Seeing and Eating Gold in Abu Dhabi

Sometimes I don't believe it either, but I have seen so many gold plated things and gold used in so many unique and creative ways, I would believe just about anything now. When I see something new, I just think to myself, "Of course it is - I would not expect anything less". Nothing  surprises me anymore.
The surprises are not only limited to Dubai - they are all over the United Arab Emirates.

We ventured to another Emirate on Saturday - Abu Dhabi, which is @ 1 hour drive from Dubai.

Abu Dhabi is the Capitol of the United Arab Emirates. It does not have as many skyscrapers as Dubai but they certainly have their fair share of gold, gold plated items and glitz.


The Grand Mosque located in Abu Dhabi, dedicated to their previous and beloved ruler Sheikh Zayed.  It is the largest, most opulent mosque you would ever see anywhere in the world and everywhere you see the color gold, it really is 24 K gold. All gold! An absolutely beautiful site to behold and one I will not forget.

To go inside the mosque, all women need to be covered head to toe and it was a very hot day. Several Emirate women told Taeler and I that it was like wearing sunglasses all over you when you wear an abaya to cover your body and a shayla to over your head. They said it shields and reflects the sun off . That was not the case for the two of us - we were sweating like we have never sweat before under the black covers. What do they know that we don't?  What is the secret? Do you just get used to it ? I was so grateful when I could take it off and get some relief from the heat, but it really made me respect even more  the women that wear the abaya and shayla in this heat.

Lunch after the visiting the Grand Mosque was at the five star hotel, Emirates Palace. When I say palace it was exactly what you think of in your mind - a grand palace. No spare for detail and it had gold plated paint on the walls and gold flecks in the flower vase on the tables. Gold, gold and more gold all over. The ultimate in gold though was when the the waitress brought us chocolate truffles and guess what ....one of them had gold flecks on top as a garnish. You heard that right - gold was on the candy.


Delicious! We ate a 24 K gold flecked truffle.

Before I came to Dubai, several people said they had heard that you could by gold in vending machines in the UAE. It is true  - you can buy gold bars in vending machines in select places around the country.  As we were leaving the Emirates Palace we came upon one of the gold vending machines. Wow - that is something I thought I would never see but below is the picture. Anyone want a gold bar ? All you do is make a selection, give the machine cash or a credit card and instantly you have gold. As easy at that.

Overall, what we saw of Abu Dhabi was beautiful, gold and shimmery. The day in Abu Dhabi reminded me of the song, "Silver and Gold". I hummed it all the way home to Dubai.

There is still so much to see, that we will need to go back for second day and explore the golden city of Abu Dhabi.

No comments:

Post a Comment