Friday, March 9, 2012

Yes Ma'am

Our family went on a Caribbean cruise in December 2007 and it was pure heaven. Cruise employees waiting on you at every turn. If I raised my hand, a diet drink appeared out of nowhere. We were all sad to get off the boat and go home, it was back to reality and we would have to do things for ourselves again, knowing we would never see such great service again. But I am living it again and have found that same and even better service in Dubai!
In Dubai, I feel like I am living on a cruise ship, pampered and niceness at every turn. I cannot recall ever being called called Ma'am and Madame so many times in my life. I really should start keeping track of  the total number of times that I am called that during the day.
The apartment employees were we live go out of their way to treat you like a queen and king. If one of the staff spot us in the lobby, we are greeted with a hello ma'am/ sir and how are you ? After a slight bow, they practically sprint to the elevator to push the buttons. My challenge is to get to the elevator and push the button before any of the apartment employees see me. I don't mind them pushing the elevator buttons, but they must sense we are coming or have eyes in the back of their heads. If you are carrying any sort of package, they take it away from you, carrying it up to your room.
While in the gym running this morning, I was asked by the gym employee if he could bring me a fresh towel, twice, if I would like a drink of water, three times and to let him know if I needed help off the tread mill ( OK - I admit that question worried me a bit, I don't think I look that feeble). The only thing he did not ask is if he could run for me, which if I would have asked, he probably would have jumped on the treadmill and finished my run.
I know what you are thinking, these employees are working it for a big fat tip, but in the UAE you don't generally tip and, believe it or not, it is their job to provide outstanding service.
The ma'am's and madame's don't stop at the apartment, I get them everywhere I go. While in line at the gas station to get to gasoline, one of the stations employees approached the car window and asked, Ma'am can I get you anything ? I looked around to see who he was talking to and realized it was me. Diet Pepsi, please. He was back lickity split with a diet Pepsi and a thank you ma'am, have a good day.


The attached picture is of the nice young man that sprinted inside to get me a diet Pepsi. He was so happy to pose for my picture and wanted to make sure the coffee sign was also photographed.


The United Arab of Emirates is unique, of the 8.4 million people that live here, only
11.4 % of its population is native to the country, the other 88.6 % of the inhabitants are made up  other nationalities, the biggest percentage of them are laborers from countries such as India, Pakistan and the Philippines. The have come to the UAE to make a better life for themselves and their families, many times leaving the families behind in their native country.
While test driving a car yesterday, the salesman had one of the their laborers ride with us. We didn't know for sure if he was supposed to be our chaperone, but the conversation with him in the car was insightful. He said he had lived in Dubai 15 years and only visits India once a year to see his wife and family if it works out. Being apart from Jeff  the past 6 months has been hard enough; I cannot even imagine 15 years.
The apartment employees like many others make any where from $400 - $600 a month but for them it is a good wage. They work long hours, 6 days a week, sometimes seven. Many of them live in places called, "Labour Camps" and are housed with 4-6 people to a room, bathrooms and kitchen areas are usually community areas shared by even more people. But as the man from India on our test drive elaborated, " this is my life and it is better than I would ever have at home".
Most of the laborers understand that they are here for a specific job, to provide service. They continually smile and are ubber courteous. Norman, our housekeeper comes in every day to do a few housekeeping things, the last time Norman came in I was home. He said thank you ma'am numerous times, bowing as he walked backwards out my door carrying our garbage.  He was thanking me for taking out our garbage ! How cool is that.
In the short time I have been in Dubai, I have grown to appreciate the kindness and over the top exceptional service received from these under payed and generally over worked employees and will certainly miss the pampering and ma'ams when I return to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment