Friday, March 2, 2012

I am here

After months of preparation, planning and sad goodbyes I am finally in Dubai, UAE. I arrived here on Thursday night, March 1, only a short 22.5 hours on two airplanes and 6 full length movies later. I toke my life on the airplane with me, which consisted of  4 bags of luggage and one very large box that had a bike and anything else that could be stuffed in around it. I am sad to mention that not all my shoes got to come with me but then I realized that I am in the shopping mecca of the world so now I don't feel so bad afterall.
Passport control in Dubai is very tight and once you make it past the screening of your passport, you need to go through a security check of not only your carry on luggage, but also all the luggage and oversized boxes that you have brought with you. I am certain it was comical to watch myself and a very small man from India lift my oversized box on the table to be screened. The Emirate Airport security guard laughed out loud as we wrestled with the box and elbowed the other security guard next to him to watch. Maybe I will end up on a Dubai, UAE funniest home video show.
The sites, smells and sounds of Dubai, United Arab Emirates are very unique. The last call to prayer for the day was being broadcast as I exited the airport to locate my husband, different languages were being spoken all around me, the smell of salt water and spices were in the air and men kept asking if they could assist me (I am sure they were wondering - what is in that box!). One man even asked if I needed to use his phone to call my husband, waited for Jeff to arrive and helped load the car. Chalk that up for Dubai hospitality.
It is three in the morning and I cannot sleep. Jet lag and the change of time is taking a toll. It is early morning Saturday in Dubai but Friday afternoon back home. Everyone keeps telling me - two weeks and you will feel like yourself again.
The hustle and bustle of this big city is in full force so early in the morning. We are temporarily living in a big one bedroom hotel apartment on the 15th floor with a sea view and I can hear the taxi's and traffic outside. There have been some sand storms recently (not as bad as the one in the latest Mission Impossible movie) so the skies have been hazy. On a clear day you can see from our balcony the man made "palms" island and the crystal blue sea water.

Our apartment hotel - Grand Mid West Towers - Media City, Dubai
There is so much to see and write about - I am looking forward to being out and about, learning and experiencing all there is to offer in the United Arab Emirates.

Fun fact - Muscat, Oman is an hour from Dubai and it is one of the oldest cities in the world, while Dubai, UAE is one of the newest. What a contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment