Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Making Plans to Transplant

Wanted - One good plan!

I soon realized the most important step to successfully running away from our suburban life for three years was to have a good plan. There is so much to do, so little time.
It has taken Jeff and I twenty eight years to build our lives, so how do we shed, change and rearrange everything we have been accustomed to in a few short months. The challenge was on, I made a long lengthy list ...first things first.
* Quit my job of 20 + years. After a few meltdowns, panic attacks and tears, I quit the job I loved on January 6, 2012. Everyone keeps asking, " what are you going to do with your time in Dubai?" Stay tuned for more on that subject in the future, it could be entertaining.
* Arrange finances -  I set up online bill pay, opted in on paperless for all of our statements and correspondence, consolidated payments, canceled services and paid off bills. I felt like I lost an old friend when I turned off my home phone number 801-544-0400 on December 12. We were connected for 30 years. Farewell old phone friend!  There were days my IPhone was glued to my ear (it is not as easy as it seems to go paperless) but it is done.
Lesson learned - I should have done this sooner and yes, we are now officially green! Less trees will lose their lives this year because of us.
* Making arrangements for our home. Do we rent or sell ? Neither for now, our daughter Ansley and her husband Shawn decided to live in our home and take care of it. What a relief and I get to keep my master bedroom for when I visit.
* Take it, store it or do away with it - Making this big move provides a good excuse to clear out the junk. Get rid of the things that you are not using and will never use. " One mans junk is another mans treasure" soon became my motto and Deseret Industries and I have became fast friends. One of the DI attendants even commented that he remembered me from the previous day. Oh no, I better wear a disguise next time or go to a different DI location.
* Do we take our car or leave it behind ? Our car is paid off, so the dilemma is whether or not we should ship it to the UAE or leave it parked for when we return. Oh heck, for now we will leave it behind and buy a car in Dubai....maybe a Mercedes :).
* Packing clothes - The big dilemma is getting all my clothes in four bags. Why does there have to be a weight limit for bags on the airlines? It seems like an impossible feat but I am up for the challenge. What if I have to leave a few of my shoes behind ? How do I choose?  This will be hard, more to come.
* Making plans for the large gold fish - Taeler decided she wanted a fish three years ago and yes it is still alive ! The gold fish has grown to be enormous and needs tender loving care. The challenge now is to see how long we can keep the gold fish alive. Good news, Mr. Fish has taken a shine to our son in law Shawn, so I think we will leave it here at the house. Thanks Shawn for taking care of Mr. Fish.
* Getting official documents ready - Passports, pictures, Visa's, attesting documents, etc. Has anyone out there ever had to have documents attested? Believe it or not, it costs money, lots of money and there is a Document Attesting Office at our very own State Capitol. Bureaucratic craziness at its finest and every state, nation, country does it.
All this for a visa that will state that I am officially a "housewife". Oh no !
* Saying goodbye and staying connected - My kids say we are going on a vacation and while it will be hard to be away from our family, friends and especially my grand babies, email and Skype will help make the transition a lot easier. I am making sure that I am totally wired and plugged in before I leave, which includes a cute new laptop, international calling capabilities on my iphone and skype.


Almost ready.


 Have I forgotten anything? Only a few more weeks until the big transition.

1 comment:

  1. Debbie... I am so excited to hear about your adventures! I have a teacher friend working in Dubai.. I will email Jeff her contact info. What a great, great journey you are headed towards!! Hugs, Cate Praggastis - East High

    ReplyDelete