Sunday, January 29, 2012

We Are Doing What?

Life was clipping along pretty nicely - a very practical path. Both my husband Jeff and I reaching middle age (that was hard to say), in the prime of our jobs, recent empty nester's and starting to plan the next 20 years. I finally had grand children!
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that Jeff and I would uproot ourselves and "run away from home" for three years, especially not to the middle east! Jeff approached me with an idea in late March 2011 as I was folding clothes, "Debbie, what do you think about Dubai ?" What do I think about Dubai? ? Where is it,  how many miles away will I be from my grand daughters, what is the culture like and most important do they have diet Pepsi on tap?
I could not leave ! Impossible - I had a good job with the state,  adorable grand children, other family that need me, one large gold fish that needs a lot of care and future events that required me to be in Utah. Our oldest daughter Ansley was getting married on August 20 and a grand daughter, Ellie Grace, was due to be born on September 12.
 Besides, Jeff and I had done a good job accumulating a house, cars and more stuff that we knew what to do with the last twenty eight years. The mere thought of rearranging our lives to go to Dubai for three years, seemed very intimidating and far fetched.
My husband has always wanted to work internationally and I have been fending off Jeff for years by saying, "wait until our kids are grown." Well guess what, in a blink our kids were grown and on their own, the opportunity came up and Jeff wanted to take it.
After tears, a few arguments, research and many, many talks, we made a decision to take the job in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Our plan to relocate for three years soon became both frightening and and exhilarating. The suburban life that we had lived for many decades, was about to be turned upside down and replaced with city, glitzy high rise living. We were off on a new and exciting adventure in a country 9000 miles away from home.
Dubai here come the Herr's.

1 comment:

  1. You are a very funny writer. Love your stuff. Let's go shopping whenyou get over here.

    ReplyDelete