Friday, July 6, 2012

Traditions of the 4th of July & Jet Lag Again

My 30 day vacation at home, in states zipped by so fast. In a flash it was over and it was time to get back on a plane, taking the long flights back to Dubai. What was I thinking - was I really leaving to go back on the 4th of July !?

I have cherished the time I have spent with my kids, grand kids, other family and friends. If I have learned one thing about life - always tell those you love exactly how you feel. Don't let the moment go because you may not get it back.

Our family loves the 4th of July. I don't exactly know why. Could it be the patriotism and being proud to be an American taught to me, my sibling, my kids and all other extended family members by my father? Could it be the fun colors and activities that occur on this day - parades, BB Q's, fireworks? Could it be the excessive family time that occurs on the 4th, spending non stop time together, but not having to buy one gift for anyone?  Whatever it is - we absolutely love it, look forward it and have a list as long as my arm fraught with tradition that we do on that day. People new to the family sometimes don't get our fascination and love for the 4th of the July, don't find it as fun and at times may think some of the activities are a little ridiculous.What matters most is that we are sharing and making memories together as a family, we like being together and cherish this day like no other. It is, what it is and we hold on to our 4th of July tradition very tightly.

My father is a member of the American Legion. Normally they provide color guard and the twenty- one gun salute at veteran funerals, raising the flag, etc. Today on the 4th, he was part of the morning cannon firing and flag ceremony that was held in conjunction with the Kaysville Rotary Breakfast. What better way to start the 4th and so fitting!

It was fun to see his excitement, marching together as a veteran group, raising the flag and continuing to teach all of us about being a proud American.

The Kaysville Fun Run soon started right after, bright and early, 7:30 A.M. Cassidy, Taeler, Ellie, Kurt, Emily and myself were running the 5K.

The run event planners mix the runners with walkers that get in your way, the course isn't a very hard, the shirts are always too big and it seems just a touch disorganized, but it starts the day off right. There is a lot of excitement and music in the air and the money -
$20.00 to run - goes to a good cause. OK , I admit , it is a little hokey, but we like it.

We made it - all of us finished the run and crossed the finish line in good time.

Off to breakfast.

We normally eat at the Kaysville Rotary breakfast (cost is either $5 each person or $20.00 for a family of 6) which is pancakes, eggs and ham ( not that great and sometimes it is cold, but once again it is tradition). This year we changed it up a little - my son -in -laws wanted to make breakfast at my home and it was delightful. AE made a dutch oven potato, bacon, sausage and egg dish and Shawn made blue berry pancakes, which we topped with my mothers homemade syrup. Yummy !!!!!!

As soon as breakfast was over and we were all dressed head to toe in our red, white and blue, we were off to the Kaysville parade.  Each one of us talk about and share what we will be wearing on the 4th weeks in advance. Making sure we have the right outfit, that it is perfect for the day. Even down to the smallest members, we show our patriotic colors. Little Ellie Grace stole the show in her red, white and blue.

The parade is so popular you have to save your shady, prime parade spot in advance. Because it got so out of control in previous years, the citizens of Kaysville are not allowed to save their spots until July 3, which means midnight on July 2. At @ 8:00 PM on July 2 the fun and parade spot jockeying begin. It is all out war and people are serious about their spots - we are! If you don't sit with your blankets until midnight they are moved and someone else will take your place. We make the wait until midnight into a party. Next year it has already been decided that we will have a BBQ while we save our parade spot and wait. Extended family members take turns claiming our prime parade space - it is so important we get the same spot. Another year - success !
I was sad that I could not participate in the rest of the days festivities. After the parade, it was time to say goodbye and be on my way to the airport. My time was short. This time around it was harder to say goodbye and there were a few tears. Yes, which includes me.  We are one big crying family and proud of it.

While I was flying from Salt Lake City to Atlanta, my kids and extended family continued on with the 4th of July fun and celebration, which was the BBQ at the grandparents and fun on the billboard size slip and slide that runs down their big sledding hill. The little Kids play on the slip and slide, but watch out, the adults always have the most fun and their bodies pay for it the next day. At the end of the fun, everyone is bruised, limping, scratched up, with grass and mud covering your entire body and stuck in places that it should not be in. Doesn't that sound like fun ! Just have the pain relievers and hot bath waiting.

While on my second flight, Atlanta to Dubai,  first class mind you, my family concluded the July 4th fun with attending the Kaysville City fireworks. The city fireworks include patriotic music glaring over crackling speakers for everyone to hear, vendors selling neon plastic rings that glow in the dark and lots and lots of families - 40,000+ to be exact ! We all crowd in the high school stadium or on the grasses surrounding the DATC or Davis High School.

The 4th is one big party that lasts the whole day and we make the most of it.

The day is over - another July 4th done and gone. Memories made. W
hile my family is resting and recovering from their slip and slide injuries and sunburns, I am trying to get over my jet lag. It is so amazing how you can fall asleep in the middle of the day.

I am happy to be back with my hubby, my new temporary life in Dubai, but I am missing my kids, family and friends. I am a very lucky person and very blessed to have so many amazing people in my life.

Time to get some sleep.

OK, Dubai I am back, lets have some more fun and share what we learn with everyone. What do you have in store for me now?

We are heading into the hottest times of the year in the middle east. It was only 113 degrees today, but the day I flew in it topped out @ 120 degrees. Scorching hot and humid - ponytails will be an every day thing from now on. Ramadan is also coming, starting on July 20 and I look forward to seeing that in full swing, but no eating in public during the day. I cannot forget that.

Watch for more to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment