Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I Love Camels ...But Who Doesn't

Raise your hand if you love camels ! Can you see that I have both arms up, high in the air?


I love, love, love these noisy, cranky animals. Since I landed in Dubai, the middle east, my fascination and love for camels has grown leaps and bounds.

My excitement swells when I see one, which seems to be frequently.

You can spot them in the most unusual places, but really in the back of cars? Okay, that really is unusual and if anyone can tell me how they got that camel into the back of that small SUV please let me know. But I have to say, his scarf is a nice touch and a smart accessory. This camel is the first that I have seen wearing a scarf and who knows maybe it will catch on.

I have seen camels lounging on beaches around Dubai, hanging out at Al Safa park (as I ran by - I was shocked to see a camel hanging out by the running track), on the side of the road, riding in the back of trucks speeding down Sheikh Zayed Highway, running down the busy street Al Wasl, tied up in yards, in the National Day parade or just walking across the sand in the desert. In the United States people rent ponies for the children's birthday parties - here you rent camels.

 
I love how camels act so annoyed when get up close to them, but I really think it is an act. Are they starving for a little attention ? If you can get close enough to a camel, you would be amazed at their ultra long and double lidded eye lashes . It appears, even though they making loud grumbling sounds, they wear an eternal smile on their cute camel faces.  
 
Camels are beloved in the middle east and why not ? What other creature could stand to be out in the scorching desert heat like camels do and love it ? None that I know of.  
 
Camel racing is big sport in the UAE. I have not made it out to the camel race track yet but I will someday soon. The racing camels are legend in this part of the world. The winners and fastest camels are big prize winners and worth a lot of money ( UAE Dir ham). Really big money !
When Jeff and I first moved to Dubai we were warned to be on the outlook for camels crossing the roads, especially on the outskirts of town. First and fore most, a camel is never at fault for crossing the road and second, if you hit a camel, it could be the Bedouin shepherds prize racing camel then you really could be in it for a lot of money. Just always remember - camels are never at fault. 
 
You just have to try it once and can find it in all the local stores dairy section - camels milk. It is very popular in Dubai and it comes in not only original, but you can also get it chocolate, strawberry and date flavored. I found it to be the same no matter the flavoring - I tried chocolate and original. I would hate to influence anyones opinion but be prepared, it is not anything like "good ole milk". If you love camels milk, you can also get camel ice cream in many different flavors and chocolate candy.  The UAE Nationals claim that camels milk is very good for the body, but the problem is getting it down and liking how it tastes.
 
I have done four blog posts on camels and there will be more. Their antics and personalities are so funny I can't help but write about camels.
 
So who loves camels ? I do, I do !
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: