Sunday, November 17, 2013

Naif Jail, Central Prison and a Mass Fillipino Wedding

What do Naif jail in Dubai, the Central Prison located in the Al Awir desert and a mass Filipino wedding at the Philippine Consulate have in common ?

All three are new things that I got to experience last week ! What a week and some...

Just when you think you have experienced and seen it all in Dubai, you soon learn, that is not the case.

Unfortunately, several people in our church congregation have found themselves on the other side of the law in Dubai. One particular woman was arrested and has since been sentenced to prison because of bad debt. You ask , "why is she in prison?"....She did not make her payments on a loan and credit card as agreed. In the UAE you can get jail and or prison if you do not pay your debts.

There is one common thing everyone says about Dubai....Never, never end up in jail or prison here.

I would agree after being at both places.

When we eventually located this particular woman after a week of searching jails, we soon discovered that the conditions inside the jail are not good, they are not even marginal. The inmates are only given food and water, nothing else. Not a bed, change of clothes, toothbrush, etc.  The conditions are overcrowded and dirty. It really makes you think twice about being a good girl. The person that was with me , mentioned that a scared straight video for youth and adults could go along way if filmed from one of these jails.

I took this woman clothes and money after she had been incarcerated over a week. As I entered the the front door , I was pleasantly greeted by a man dressed in a Kandora. Not the usual guard uniform like every other person working at the jail was wearing.

I let him know why I was there and his pleasant tone got stern. He said, " too late, go home, you will not be able to see her" . "Oh come on", I said.
He asked , "Are you from Russia ?"  "No, I am from the U.S."
"OK then, you can see her."  Once again his tone became very pleasant and he proceeded to give me a number, told me sit down and wait my turn.

Tick, tock, tick, tock the time marched on.  The waiting area was dirty, okay filthy and I sat on the edge of the chair hoping not to catch anything.

Finally ! My number was called and the guard in the tan uniform and his barely recognizable English  said, "You are too late to see anyone, you will have to come back".

Really, I have been waiting a long time for my number to be called and and I was here on time, well within  the listed visiting hours.

The guard asked, "Where are you from - let me see your passport."
I gave him my passport, played a funny banter with him on her legal charge and then so nicely and quietly he said that I would be able to see her.  '
Go and be on your way through those doors and the guards will assist you," he said in a very stern voice.

Two large, scary women were guarding the big heavy wooden door with big thick metal bars and a sliding window. The jail was old, smelly and definitely could use a make over. The room next to the heavily barred door was full of suitcases that belonged to the women inmates. I am sure many of them were picked up at the airport on their way into the country.
I demanded to see the person I was visiting and the guard told me no at first. I persisted with her until she said , "wait 5 minutes."  What did that mean I thought to myself?

I never was allowed to speak with my friend but was able to see her from a distance. They brought her in to the waiting area so I could have a visual only, no talking , just waving.

The week in jail had taken its toll on her.

When she saw us, she burst into tears. Two minutes was all I got until the guard pushed me out the door and slammed the heavy door after me. Our visit was over.

Later the same week, Jeff and I drove 35 minutes to Central prison , that is located in the middle of the Al Awir desert to visit with another person that has found themselves on wrong side of the law in the UAE.
There is no place to go if you escape. Especially in the heat of the summer, it would be relentless. It seems appropriate that the jail would be where it is. More on the prison later....

The week ended with a happy event - thank goodness !

 To cap off this unusual week, Jeff and I were asked to participate as sponsors for a Filipino wedding.

Rowena and Lau are the cutest young couple and we were honored to be their sponsors.

It was a special event, @ 30 couples were going to be married at the same time on a beautiful Thursday afternoon at the Philippine Consulate. We all stood shoulder to shoulder in the small room, brides and grooms dressed in their wedding clothes, brides holding flowers, while the consulate authority had the couples face each other, exchange their vows, rings and kiss each other in unison.

Even the sponsors had a part to play in the wedding ceremony. We had to agree to support them as a married couple. In unison we all agreed.

You may kiss your bride, congratulations you are married !

Just like that  - @ 30 couples were married.

We signed as the witnesses to their wedding and we were on our way.
There was not a lot of fanfare - it was simple and accomplished the task. Hmmm...I could have saved boat loads of money if my three daughters would have been married in a similar fashion.

Our bride wanted to stand out, be different and she did. While all the other brides wore white, Rowena wore a red lace dress. She was stunningly beautiful.

When Lau saw Rowena for the first time on Thursday, he was stunned and speechless. When he could talk he said, "Rowena, you look like a brand new Ferrari ." I would agree !

It has been a crazy, interesting week to say the least. Some of these experiences and the emotion, sites and smells attached to them are forever etched in my mind.

Congratulations to Rowena and Lau ! Thank you for letting Jeff and I be the sponsors for your wedding and the opportunity to be part of your special day.



No comments:

Post a Comment