Sunday, March 23, 2014

My First Car Accident in Dubai :(

The driving is so crazy in Dubai that you see accidents all the time. I have been here over two years and I am accident free....well I was until last week. I now join the ranks with all the others that have been involved in a traffic  accident in the UAE. I was hoping not to join that club ! You hear the horror stories about accidents and really hope it will not be you one day ( who is really to blame , getting the vehicle fixed, etc).


Clearly it was my fault. When the officer asked who was to blame I said it was me. He approached me and said, " I love when people admit they are at fault".  "Thank you for being a big girl " . Did I actually hear the office say that...." thank you for being a big girl?"
I got the red ticket.....okay, that wasn't that hard to say.


This is how it happened....


I was following a fellow on a turn when another car made an abrupt U turn and almost broadsided the car in front of me. The driver in front of me then slammed on this breaks to avoid being hit. I was too close and no place to go but hit him from behind. Oh no ! Bang ! The noise was very loud and of course during lunch when lots of people are around.


Thank goodness no injuries ....just my pride bruised a little....


To have your insurance take care if the accident, you have to have a police report and number. We called the police and waited. Tick, tock, tick, tock .... an hour and 30 minutes passed, still no police. My husband called and said that his wife had an accident and was standing on the street waiting with  strange men. They arrived a few minutes later and let me know that my husband had called about my safety. Thanks sweetie !


When the UAE police officers arrived they were very polite and insisted that I not stand on the road - he said " women don't stand on the side of a road - get into your car".
Officer Hamzah also said that part of his job as a officer of the law was to call husbands of women that have been involved in a car accident to help smooth it over before they got home. I told him I was okay,  my husband knew about the accident, but he offered three more times to call my husband after his initial offer. So sweet don't you think ? !


I was cited a ticket - handed a red piece a paper ( the person not responsible gets a green piece of paper). When it was given to me, the ticket was completely written in Arabic - "what does this say ?" I was told that it said that my fine was 200 AED ( @ 55 USD ). The officer quietly said, " Pay the ticket online and your husband will never know". I love this guy. He was watching out for me as a woman.


My car is now being fixed and the accident will soon be forgotten. I have had my token car accident in Dubai and would like to not have any others.


Overall not a horrible experience and thank goodness I had some very polite funny officers.




2 comments:

  1. Hi
    I read your post and it contains very useful information. Thanks for this useful articleDubai VIP massage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dubai is the best city in world ..Must visit place

    ReplyDelete