Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Six months Already... My Advice for Newbies in Dubai

Six months in Dubai ! Jeff has almost been here one year. Where has the time gone ?

It feels like yesterday that I uprooted, said my goodbye's and traveled 9000 miles across the world stepping into a new adventure like non I have ever experienced before.

I like it here in Dubai....the only thing I don't like is that I am 9000 miles away from my kids, grand kids, extended family and friends. Sometime it is still a little tender, sometimes I ache to be back home around my kids and family. I used to talk with my girls everyday, even if it was just a hello. There were times we would talk multiple times a day, for really no reason at all. Mothers and daughters do those kinds of things. I miss the calls and miss them. Now I understand what my mother is saying about missing the connection, the daily calls.

I have learned to be good at SKYPE, even though the SKYPE in Dubai is only marginally average on a good day ( Everyone in Dubai thinks the two telephone companies scramble skype on occasion).You learn when your family is awake, asleep and when you can catch them at home and say a small prayer that when you can get them on skype you don't sound like a robot.

I was messaging on SKYPE with my youngest daughter today, my morning, her night, telling her about a young woman that was recently married and moved away from her family in Bahrain to live in Dubai, her husbands home land. The young woman expressed to me so tenderly how much she missed her mom, I was touched and cried with cute Eman. My daughter sent back a message after I mentioned the conversation that said, " I miss my mom too". I broke down and cried. I was sitting at a desk at my husbands work sobbing, tears running down my face. When I looked up, another young woman who recently moved to Dubai was sitting across from me, Kait, she was also crying and said, I miss my mom too". We had a good cry together. Moms and daughters. Men don't get it.

Six months in Dubai, I am now considered an old timer. When I arrived six months ago, two amazing women, Cindy and Kinda, took me under their "experienced Dubai wing" and showed me the ropes, gave me good advice that helped me survive. Now it is my turn to assist the new arrivals in Dubai, the newbies, sharing what I have learned and offer the same advice that was given to me two days after I arrived.

1. It takes a little time to settle in here. Don't expect it to happen overnight and to all the other Americans, it will not happen on American speed. Take one day, one month at time and don't get stressed if things take more time than usual, because they will. A familiar saying around here, "Insha Allah" , which means, God Willing. It is used for everything. An example, IE, you move into a new villa and have ordered cable/Internet to be installed. Everyday you call and ask, "when will you be out to install my cable or Internet". What the company will say is , "Insha Allah"  (God willing ) maybe this week or next and hang up. Things take time and sometimes a few dirhams ( money) help get thing done.

2. When you see something need or like in a store - buy it  - all of them ! You may never see it again and that is the truth. Take my word for it.

3. Learn quickly how to use the UAE dirham and ALWAYS carry cash. I cannot emphasize that enough. Many of the services and businesses only take cash and do not take cards.There is little patience for people who fumble around for cash or hold up lines at stores because they don't know how to use the money.

4. Get a cell phone. I thought my IPHONE would work in Dubai but soon learned it was locked and to unlock it would void the warranty. I quickly purchased a small Samsung phone and the cheapest plan available. The UAE does all their business by text or email and you need cell phone to survive in this country.  

5.When you first come to Dubai, bring your GPS and have the maps from the middle east downloaded ready to go. You will need them.
We have used and abused our GAR MIN. There are time I want to throw it out the window, but I especially love when it does not know how to pronounce the words so it spells it. Yes it spells some of the street names. It has even instructed us to "drive across the sandy lot". How does our GAR MIN know it is a sandy lot ? There is so much construction going on in Dubai, roads appear and disappear overnight. The GAR MIN is always confused but not as confused as we are and if it only does one thing, it can get us back home.

6. Get a car and drive. Don't be afraid of the crazy, outrageous driving. Face it head on, go for it and pretty soon you find yourself driving just like everyone else, you become of those kooky Dubai drivers. Dubai is a driving city and you will need transporation to get around. Taxi's are abundant but having your own car makes a big difference - it gives you freedom.

7. Accept Dubai for what it is. Don't try and analyze it, that will just frustrate you more. Things happen in Dubai just because they can. Relax and enjoy your stay.

On Wednesday, I will be helping out two new arrivals, taking them around to the stores that carry American products, the ones that have the best produce, etc, sharing the words of wisdom given to me months ago. I especially like the sisterhood, how you can become instant friends, bonded by a country you came from, a circumstance, a move to a new a country, or just being women. I may not have my family and friends from Utah here with me in Dubai, but many of these people are becoming like family. They care for you and cry with you, understanding how you are feeling when you are in a strange country 9000 miles away. We all get it.

I am so glad that I am not the "newbie" anymore. It has come full circle and it is my turn to help the new arrivals, the "newbies", show them robes and I am ready. Oh and I better bring tissue, sometimes we cry when we talk about home, kids and missing our family.

More to come ...Insha Allah...... 

1 comment: