Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Wait...Is That A Camel Running on the Busy Road Wearing a Pink Saddle ?

Driving at dusk on Al Wasl....I was clipping along in my SUV, when I could see ahead of me something running on the side of the road, along side the cars. Whatever it was, appeared to be keeping up with the flow of traffic and carrying something pink on its back.

I sped up - I had to get closer ....could it be what I thought it was?

Yes, it was what I thought it was ! Two very large camels running down Al Wasl, keeping up with the cars. They acted as if they belonged on the road, like they were running in a "camels only lane".
No other drivers seemed phased by these massive animals on the road. They acted like, "oh we see camels everyday running down the side of the road, with cute pink saddles on". Not !!!

Oh no, the light was changing to red at the next big intersection and I could not bear to watch two camels with cute pink camel saddles be hit by cars going the opposite direction. I started to panic, I must do something. I pulled up along side the two camels and rolled down the passenger window . Then I thought - what do I say to a camel on a busy road? How do I make them understand they should get out of the traffic ? The moment was upon me...we turned and looked at each other, I didn't know what to say.

By now the light had turned red, the cars were stopped and the camels stopped. They stopped along side the first cars parked at the light. How did they know to stop on a red light ? Did they go to camel drivers education ? I was perplexed. The two large camels  stood patiently looking straight ahead, as if waiting for the light to change.

The light changed to green, one of the camels turned to the other and made a noise , as if to say, "its green , let's go".With the cars they moved through the intersection, picking up their speed, keeping up with the traffic - two large camels with the cute pink saddles.

Okay, I have to be on candid camera ! Did know one else notice these two large camels, running along side their cars with pink saddles on? I could see a truck with sides coming up behind me. The truck was weaving in and out of traffic, trying to get ahead of all of us, honking for the cars to get out of their way.

When they got along side me, a man hanging out of the passenger window, was shouting in Arabic at the two large camels running down the road. He would shout and make a motion to them with his hand like, "pull over there". The two camels would look over at the man in the truck (and I swear I could see a smirk on their camel faces) - continuing to run and making a disgusting noise back to man as to disagree. The man shouting Arabic and the camels making disgusting noises back to the man went back and forth over and over. Was this man really arguing with the camels and more important do camels understand Arabic ? Were they running away from the man in the truck because he was making them wear pink saddles? Do they hate pink ?

This went on for another mile until I had to turn off Al Wasl. Wow, that was kooky...certainly not something I would ever see in Layton, Utah... two large camels running along a busy road with pink saddles on. I really think I was the only one that noticed the camels and the Arab men chasing them, shouting in Arabic and making hand motions as if the camels would understand .And the camels - more hysterical than I can even portray.

Thanks for topping off a great day ! Gotta love them camels.

**** I hope they made to their camel homes safely.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment