Friday, February 8, 2013

Here Comes the Bride

On SKYPE one night, my youngest daughter said to me, "I met someone and we have been on two dates".

OK, I had heard that before and this was coming from the daughter that was NOT going to be wed before she was done with school and had lived life a little. No worries, he would end up like all the rest I told her dad.

Shortly after, in  May 2012, our daughter arrived in Dubai, staying with us for thirty days. The statement " I met someone" I quickly found out, was more serious than we had imagined. I could tell that "he" could be the one. Could this be true ?


Yep, it was true and when she got back to the states, they made it official - they were engaged and getting married at the start of the new year, 2013.

Let the planning of wedding 9000 miles away begin !

I have planned two other weddings, one just being a year prior,  for our oldest daughter, but this one was different. I wasn't home to help as much and I cried when I knew that I would not be home in the states on the day that our daughter went dress shopping. Thank goodness she has two amazing sisters that will be there for her every step of the way and my friends, well, they were awesome, taking care of and looking in on my baby girl as she prepared for the big day, with me off in far away land. I would not recommend that mother and daughter be away from each other - at least not this far - when planning a wedding.

In October 2012, I went home for one month and together we accomplished a lot. It was a whirlwind month of wedding planning/ organizing - wedding showers, making countless arrangements and family time. I even put up the Christmas tree before I left town. I don't know why, but this time it was especially hard to leave the states and head back to Dubai. I felt like I needed to stay.


On Christmas day 2012, Jeff and I were on our way home, excited and looking forward to the next three weeks. There would be an over abundance of family time, wedding festivities and what ever else we could fit in during our 21 days in the United States.

We enjoyed Christmas, heralding in the New Year, sledding, partied with family, friends and our daughters new in law family, finished last minute wedding planning, had a wedding, moved our daughter to San Diego and did an  open house in California. Wow, that was crazy.

By the time we got on the plane to fly back to Dubai, we were exhausted and could finally take a minute to recall what all had transpired in the past three weeks. We were amazed at all we had accomplished and done. The best part was all the time we spent with family and friends.


Most important  - Our baby girl got married !


When did she grow up? When did all of our children grow up ? How did that happen so fast. Don't let me think about it too long or hard because I will cry.

We have had a great time being their parents. We are the lucky ones. Everyone will comment when they find out we raised three girls and one son, "wow, three girls must have been difficult ". "No, not at all", I say. We had a few bumps and issues along the way but mostly we had fun, laughed a lot and loved one another. I  have loved them all as young children and have grown to love them even  more as grown adults. Our children,in  law children, and three beautiful grand daughters are the joy of our lives.

The wedding was beautiful and hopefully all that our daughter imagined it would be. The setting was  spectacular and the flowers outstanding. The morning of the wedding it was 2 degrees. Cold and frosty.

My favorite moment of the wedding was when I was with our daughter in the bride's room alone,  just me and her, helping her get ready to make her grand appearance. I am so happy we had that few minutes of quiet time together. It meant a lot to me.

I guess my life is changing...again...evolving. I no longer have children who need me. With all of our kids married, we have stepped into a new phase of our lives. I look forward to what it brings in the future. Hmm....We are thinking it is time to start traveling - Turkey, Jordan, Italy, England, etc. From Dubai, you can get anywhere in the world quicker, cheaper and we need to take advantage of it before we go back to the states.

This could be fun !




1 comment:

  1. These are really great ideas in on the topic
    of blogging. You have touched some pleasant factors here.
    Any way keep up wrinting.

    my blog post - Full Record
    my website > simply click the up coming web site

    ReplyDelete