Monday, April 2, 2012

What I Have Learned in 32 Short Days about Me and Dubai

Wow - time really flies. I have been in Dubai over a month and I am still thriving - in fact I needed this adventure. I don't know what I was afraid of before I left Utah. Maybe the unknown ? The thought of leaving everything behind that was familiar to me was scary. A little push to get out of ones comfort zones should be mandatory for all of us at one time in our lives. 
It has been one learning experience after another, a huge lesson in life and my eyes have been opened. I feel like a child learning and discovering new and different things every day, believe it or not, even food. Aren't you proud of me ? Before, or should I say, pre - Dubai, If I could not pronounce the name of the food item, I would not eat it, but I have changed and willing now to give it a try.
I ask a lot of questions - about everything  - and take more pictures then are necessary. Some days it is an all out assault on my senses. Seeing, hearing and smelling things that I have never encountered before or want to ever again. I will save that for another blog.
Dubai definitely has a distinct smell - I say, it is a mix of salt water and spices but people that have been here a while don't smell it anymore. I hope, I don't get so used it in the future that I don't smell it anymore. It is one of those special things about Dubai, the Middle East. 
It has not been all roses and puppies, but almost - there has been both the good and the bad. It has been an adjustment, a little hard at times when I am missing my family and friends, especially my kids and grand daughters, but how lucky am I to be meeting new people. People that I have met and done things with are from all over the world. If I would have not come to Dubai, my life would not have been enriched from knowing them. Another bonus, Jeff and I are together 24/ 7, except when he is at work and we have loved it.
A few other things I absolutely love....
* The beach - The best and cheapest therapist around! I cannot get enough of the crystal blue water and white sandy beaches. It is especially nice in the early morning after a run. Besides me, the only few people on the beach are doing yoga or picking up garbage. I have picked up enough sea shells and star fish to fill two hurricane glass containers and feel the need to get more.
* The diversity, mix of countries and cultures-. Anything goes here, no matter what it is, except for dressing immodestly. Around the city there are constant reminders to dress appropriately, modest, IE, like the reminder below that is displayed at Emirates Mall. 
You see it all in Dubai, traditional or national dress on women depending on their country, modern dress or "western" dress as it is called, women totally covered head to toe, whole faces covered, only eyes showing, mental masks covering faces and men wearing traditional dress for whatever country they are from with the corresponding head wear or not. I especially love the Indian's national dress - so vibrant and colorful. How could you not be happy when you wear so many bright and happy colors. I think it would make you smile all day long.
Overall - I didn't think I would but have found that I love being part of the diversity.


* The crazy driving. Never in my life have I experienced driving like this. All the different nationalities and countries bad driving habits melted together in one city. You feel like you are gearing up for the Indy 500 every time you get in your car. Defensive driving at its best and it is not for wimps or the faint of heart. Round abouts, U turns, an over abundance of speed bumps, being allowed to go 20 over the speed limit on major highways, sudden lane changes, etc. Besides the crazy drivers and an over abundance of taxi's, there are pedestrians everywhere. With one eye you watch the other cars around you and with your other eye you watch for pedestrians. I have been told that pedestrians on the road ways is not as bad as other countries, like India, but I think it is pretty bad. Sadly, pedestrians are hit and killed all the time on the roads of Dubai. People dart out or run cross main highways, freeways and busy roads constantly. They are in places that shock me. All of sudden there is someone in front of your car and there are other cars all around you. On Saturday, Jeff and I saw a group of young boys playing cricket on the green space in the middle of the 8 lane highway. Hmmm - I don't know how they ever got across the road to even get there. Scary .... Where are their mothers?
Everyone around Dubai says, "You say a little prayer when you get in your car and hope for the best".
Overall, I think I have the hang of it and find it exhilarating! Love it !
* The outstanding customer service. I told Bablue ( he is from Bangladesh), one of the hotel staff yesterday, that he has spoiled me to the point of no return. He is insistent on carrying any bag I have to my room, opening the door for me and thanking me profusely. I will never be able to return to the United States after experiencing day after day this "over the top" customer service and kindness. He just smiled, bowed and said " have the best day ever Ma'am".
* The sounds of Dubai - Incessant honking, loud birds, Arabic music, different languages and call to prayer five times a day. The noise is annoying, constant and comforting all at the same time. Dubai never sleeps, winds down a little in the early morning hours, but never sleeps. The city is in a perpetual state of motion.
* The diversity in business. Old and new, opulent and run down. It is so fun to explore both, but the little run down stores intrigue me the most. They beckon me and scare me a little at times. The picture below is of one of the alley grocers off of Opulent Jumeriah Beach Road. The grocery store had two small aisles and was packed to the ceiling with dusty "stuff" and there was cat sitting on one of the shelves. Doesn't it sound awesome!
* The Gulf News - I have traded in the Salt Lake Tribune for the Gulf News. It is slanted but so fun to read. It gives me a flavor and insight to what is going on in the Gulf Region and how issues are handled. If you commit what is considered a crime here, IE, having an affair, not paying your bills, feeding stray cats or hitting a camel - you are in the newspaper.

Enough about me - here are a few more things that I have learned since moving to Dubai...

1. As mentioned in a previous post, the United States has had a profound impact on the world and its inhabitants. Clothes, food, cars, entertainment, phones, dance, catch phrases, sports teams, business....everything.
2. Arabs and Muslims that I have encountered seem to like Americans. Americans are highly regarded and have a fairly respected status in the UAE. When I speak, people always say, "Oh, you are an American, I can tell by your accent". I did not think that I had an accent, and would consider  my "accent' pretty boring compared to all the others around here. I also get asked about stars, like the Kardashians, Taylor Swift, Michael Jackson, Justin Beiber,etc, all the time. Isn't that funny ! Like, I would even know them.
3..  The United Arab Emirates is one of the safest places to live , with one of the lowest crime rates in the world - less than 2%  for millions of people.  The penalty for minor offenses is severe and there is a zero tolerance policy for most crimes. To drink or transport alcohol in the UAE, you need be non Muslim and carry a "red card". There are only a few places in the country were alcohol is permitted or sold, which includes some selected hotels. If you are caught driving drunk, you might as well kiss it all goodbye. You are arrested, fined heavily, jailed and when your jail sentence is over, deported, with no chance of getting any of your possessions back. Your are also banned from coming into the UAE in the future. Taxi drivers are also instructed to bring people that are drunk to the police station and then you are fined and jailed for public intoxication.
You can be out all hours of the night and it is safe. No harm would come to you. I can run outside in the early morning hours and it is perfectly safe.
4. Dubai is fun, easy living.  Before I came to Dubai, I was told it would be like living in Disneyland and I have found that statement to be true. The only thing that is missing is the zippity do dah music playing all over the city, like it does at Disneyland. Dubai is all about fun, leisure time, shopping and dedicated to a good time. The city is also very family oriented, maybe a little too much so. Anything you want to do, is here, or coming soon! Every store you have ever heard of or not, exists within one of the 68 malls in the city.
5. Dubai is sparkling and pretty - even in a desert, with sand blowing a good share of the time - the ruling family does it right in Dubai. Skyscrapers, glass and gold are a glow all over the city. They even have window washers that go on outside of the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, and shine it up. That is one job I would never want or do, no matter the pay offered.
Gold is beloved in Dubai and it is everywhere.
I have never seen so many gold plated objects in my entire life, including cars. If I had a gold plated car I would hide it in my garage for fear it would be stolen, not here in Dubai. Those individuals that have a gold plated car like to drive them around for everyone to see (all about status and show) and the possibility of the car being stolen - well, it just would not happen in this city. The Al Qasr Hotel's drive up is lined by 21 karat gold plated life size horses (see the picture at the top of the blog). They are absolutely exquisite!! There is also a flag pole that was constructed and stands in Dubai that represent the 7 Emirates. The flag pole cost 2 billion dollars, yes, that is 2 billion dollars and is 21 karat gold plated. See the picture below. 
And for all you iPhone users - how about a gold plated iPhone? You can get them here.
I am on my way out for more adventure and photos.
OK, I will admit it, our Dubai re location has been worth it. I definitely have grown as a person from being here.

Pretty soon I will be a darn good tour guide - any takers ?

1 comment: